Tuesday, March 13, 2007

My New Map App

I've been very loyal to Google Earth and Google Maps in the past, however I think I might have found my new online map app: http://local.live.com. I can add paths and place markers all over the world. I can also see my farm from the images on their servers (not possible with Google Maps or Google Earth.

The best thing for me (as a programmer) is that Microsoft allows developers to use this API without having to sign up and get a key, or even sign an NDA to use the API. Of course I have yet to do anything with it, but the concept is very appealing. The API is very simple also... simply create a DIV tag on a page and pass that DIV tag ElementId to the VEMap() constructor like so:
var map = new VEMap('myDiv');
map.LoadMap();
Here is a full article on how to use the VEMap API on your own site... for free.

No comments: