Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mohican Trail Running

A few weeks back, Rob and I did a trail run on the Red Loop at Mohican State Park. I went up to get in a 12 mile run and Rob was there to do 42 miles (aka: a LOT more than me). I followed rob for 6 miles, then turned around. This was a very fun loop. At the 3 mile marker or so, we had to cross the river by balance-walking across a log that fell over the river, just like in the movies. :)


Of course, I took my Garmin 305 and told him I'd post the map of my run to my blog later that day, but never did. Sorry dude, here it is (link) and it even shows the brain fart where I forgot to start the timer when we began:

I'll never forget this run. It was still very cold and there were spots where the snow was sculpted with jagged footprints that had been frozen in time. Basically, it snowed, people walked in it, then it refroze. Rob called this terrain "ankle breakers" and I couldn't agree more. If you read my last post, you'll know that I talked about a knee injury. I think this is the run that caused that injury. My feet were twisting one way and my knees were twisting another. At the time, I didn't feel any pain; it wasn't until a few days later when I ran again that I noticed my knee was starting to hurt.

Anyway, I'm planning to go up to Mohican this weekend to do a 18 miler before tapering next week before my race. If anybody is reading this and wants to get in some miles this weekend, I'd love the company! I'm gonna be doing the Orange Loop again (I loved that course).

No comments: